Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15, 2013 - DOOR Orientation and First Week of Work


I'm finally working! But we'll get to that.

Before starting at our various agencies, all of us had a couple weeks of DOOR orientation. This consisted of many things, mostly to get us comfortable with the city and different way of life.

Highlights from DOORientation:
  • Working with Project Angel Food where we cooked and packaged food for people suffering from HIV/AIDS. 
  • Exploring the Metro and bus routes.
  • Santa Monica Beach & Pier
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Visiting and receiving a tour of all the agencies us Dwellers are working with. 
  • Establishing a house covenant.
Another aspect of DOOrientation is the sharing of testimonies. This is where each of us share our life story, how God came into it, and how we got to Hollywood. It was really powerful and insightful for us to learn about each other.

So DOORientation is over. I've met about 50 people in two weeks, and my work is about to begin. Am I nervous? OF COURSE! The Lord's Lighthouse serves on Wednesdays and Sundays. The Wednesday program has breakfast and lunch, a health care professional available, various agencies present, and smiles abound. Wednesdays are much more relaxed than Sundays. On Sundays, a bible study occurs at 12, with lunch following around 1. Averaging over 100 people, the amount of preparation for these two days is tremendous. I am proud to say I help make such a great program function.

In just the first week of work, I feel a connection to this place that I have not felt before. It's truly special and I thank you all for your support.

-John


No comments:

Post a Comment