Sunday, July 6, 2014

July 6, 2014 - Leaving Hollywood

So here we are: less than a month from the last work day at Hollywood Presbyterian Church. It's been such a journey and I couldn't be more grateful. I feel like reflecting on the year is inevitable in this post, so I'll do my best to make sure it isn't word vomit.

When I first arrived, I had such different perceptions of Hollywood. In the first week I didn't know my housemates. I really wanted to be at all of the tourist attractions. I wanted to get started working at Hollywood Pres. I wanted to make a difference. Now I know my housemates all too well. I've been to all of the LA tourist attractions enough to get really bored of some of them. I still love working at the church. And I feel that I have made a difference. That difference is something that people can't see. I haven't built houses. I haven't started a nonprofit. I haven't ended homelessness. I have developed relationships with folks that I hope will never end. I have organized and been an integral part of a winter refuge. I have learned so much that I can't put it into words. Coming to the end of the year is a challenging place to be. In the upcoming month I literally only have 4 days without something on my calendar. It will be an ending with a bang before a new journey. Before I go on about that, I want to list my fun highlights from the year. This is more for my personal memory, but it's cool to see it all written out.

Aug - YAV Orientation in NY
          Arrived in Hollywood
          Attended taping of The Soup
Sep - Started working at Hollywood Pres
          Attended Women's Brunch at Hollywood Pres b/c it had Bluegrass music
Oct - First time to LACMA
         Was on Let's Make a Deal
         Attended Cirque Du Soleil - Totem
         Went to LA Galaxy vs. Montreal Impact Game
         Visited set of Community
         Forest Home Hollywood Pres Church Retreat
Nov - Hunger Games Premiere
          Freddie's Birthday Bowling Night
          Neighborhood Thanksgiving
Dec - Christmas Store at FPCH
          Ben Adam & Selene's Wedding
          Jimmy Kimmel Taping
          Home for Christmas along with JT & Meredith's wedding!
Jan -  Winter Refuge Began
          MLK Day Parade
         Dweller Retreat to San Francisco/Yosemite
Feb - Day of Silence at St. Andrew's Abbey
         Attended UCLA vs. Utah basketball game
Mar - Winter Refuge ended
          Venice Photo Scavenger Hunt
          Spring Break Discover Groups
          Sam Speigel Visited!
          Nicola Rohr Visited!
Apr - Attended Last Comic Standing taping
          FTE Conference in WA
          DISNEYLAND
          American's Got Talent Taping
May - Brent & Tara's Birthday Weekend
           Patrick Jeter Visited
           Traveled to Memphis, TN to see Bobby & Kim get married!
           Dad Visited! Went to Dodgers Game!
Jun - Surf Lessons with Joel
         Chaperoned high school youth to Forest Home


It's amazing to see all of the things that I've done. It's concrete evidence of how blessed I really am and how active I've become since moving out here.

So onward. I'll be leaving LA on August 12. From there I'm going to LA in late August. But wait! LA to LA? That's right. Los Angeles to Louisiana. I will be serving another YAV year in New Orleans. It looks like I'll be working with Lakeview Presbyterian Church, where the head pastor is Barrett Milner (that guy who was my camp counselor, helped me steal "children" in the simulation game at MSPC, and worked with 2nd Pres in Lexington for years) and/or Mid-City Ministries. My exact duties at either agency aren't exactly clear to me as of yet. Here are links to their pages though:
http://www.lpcno.org/
http://midcityministries.org/about/



How Can You Support Me?
·         Your Prayers: Pray for me and for the people with whom I will live and serve this year.
·         Your Financial Gifts: Give a tax-deductible contribution as a one-time gift or in installments over the course of my year of service. The preferred method is to send a check to the address below. If you'd like to give another way, please contact me.


Make checks payable to:
Presbytery of South Louisiana,
MEMO LINE: "John Kupar - YAV"
 
Mail checks to:
Layne Brubaker
YAV Program
2221 Filmore Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70122



National YAV website:  http://www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/yav/
New Orleans YAV Blog:  http://pslyav.wordpress.com/
New Orleans YAV Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pslyav
 



I'm so excited to continue my story there, but I first have to say goodbye here. The next month will be a challenge, but I'm ready. Leaving doesn't mean that I'm gone forever. I'll be back to LA I'm sure.

-John


1 comment:

  1. YAY Nola!!! So excited to know that you will be down here and maybe even spending time with Lakeview. They are a great congregation and (as I'm sure you're well aware), Barrett is an awesome supervisor.

    ReplyDelete