Wednesday, February 25, 2015

February 25, 2015

February Update!

So Mardi Gras  happened. There's so much to say about it. First off, stereotypes are definitely not true. It's not a place where a bunch people get drunk and pull off their clothes. That's Bourbon St. Mardi Gras is surprising family friendly. It's essentially a couple of weeks of parades, leading up to Mardi Gras day. I attended TWELVE parades, and boy am I still tired. These parades are put on by Krewes (which are essentially social clubs) and are the most awesome parades. Every parade has "throws", which you can guess is anything that is thrown to you. Throws typically includes beads, footballs, and plastic cups, along with a myriad of parade specific throws. The classic line is, "Throw me something mister!" hoping to get something as they roll by.

Overall my Mardi Gras experience was pleasant. Katelyn Campbell and Garrett Moore came to visit! It was so fun. My favorite parade was Endymion, which rolled on Valentine's Day. It was the day that Katelyn and Garrett got into town and their new interest sparked mine again!

Other big news: I've been accepted to Louisville Seminary! I'll be moving to Louisville in August to begin my quest for an MDiv. It has been a long journey of discernment and descision making to lead me to this point. I'm grateful for the guidance, direction, and input many of you have had and couldn't be more excited to start this next part of my life journey.

I preached at Lakeview Presbyterian Church! It was my first attempt at the pulpit, and I think it went rather well. I've been told that you can hear the sermon on the Lakeview website, lpcno.org but have yet to look there myself.

The YAVs did a tree planting in the wetlands through the Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana! Our group planted 800 trees in one day. Talk about tiring, whew! 

YAVs plus friends on Mardi Gras Day.

Garrett, John (me), Katelyn on Lundi Gras!




Crowd before Endymion.


Float from the Mid-City parade.
Katherine and me in front of some trees we planted through the CRCL.
There are so many things going on here that it's hard to blog now. I will continue to do the best I can, but know God is doing great things in this city!

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment