Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sermons

As my YAV year comes to an end my life is super busy with camp at Carrollton. I got to preach in June at Lakeview so I'll be attaching an unedited copy of my sermon here for you to read. More to come soon!


Scripture: Mark 4: 35-41
35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36 And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. 37 A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. 40 He said to them, “Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41 And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”


Today’s story is one that I can imagine really easily. I want you to shut your eyes and visualize this story with me. Jesus’ day was filled with preaching. At this time, it was likely that the crowd to which he was preaching was too large for all to hear him. He probably preached off the side of a boat that day. With the Sea of Galilee only being 7 miles wide and 13 miles across, it is significantly smaller than Lake Pontchartrain, and the boat wouldn’t have been very large. That night, he and his disciples, who were fisherman, decided to cross the Sea of Galilee to continue their ministry. Jesus falls asleep on a cushion in the back of the boat. A storm begins brewing. Scholars suggested this storm to be the equivalent of a hurricane, with winds upwards of 70mph. The boat is thrashing back and forth, back and forth. Heavy rain is falling. The wind is so harsh you can’t hear anything. And Jesus remains asleep on a cushion, in the back of the boat. Open your eyes.

Have you ever been that tired? You know. So tired that you could sleep through a raging storm? It’s sure happened to me. Just a few weeks ago even. I had the pleasure of returning to Los Angeles to visit my friends from my previous YAV year. I left the house at 4:30AM to catch a 6:00 flight. I landed at 8AM PST and my day only began there. I walked down Hollywood Blvd for the Walk of Fame. I ate a burrito from my favorite taco stand that is incomparable. I adjusted to the lack of humidity by playing basketball with kids in the community. I was the ideal tourist, walking around with my camera around my neck.  By the end of that day I was exhausted. With the time change and amount of activity, I was ready to sleep through anything. And I did. As soon as I lay on a couch, I didn’t awake until the following morning. My plan wasn’t even to sleep on that couch. My plan was to go to a friend’s house and sleep in his empty bed. But the fatigue overcame me. I was so tired, that an old couch was enough for me. I slept through someone pushing me over and directly asking me to move.  It was a deserved long sleep. Jesus was in a similar place that night on the boat.

The disciples, the fisherman who had made a living fishing on this sea, woke Jesus, afraid. Afraid for their lives. They must have been too far from shore to swim to safety. They asked if he cared that they were dying. His response? “Peace. Be still.” And the sea calmed at once. And Jesus asked, “Why are you afraid?”

Fear. Fear is what that storm elicits. Fear is what made the disciples wake Jesus. Fear is a part of our everyday lives. When I started this YAV year, I was unclear of exactly what I would be doing. I remember my first Sunday in New Orleans before I even started working with Lakeview. I was in attendance with a few of my fellow YAVs and Barrett introduced me to the congregation. He commented on my Kentucky blue shirt. And while that was comforting, I was indeed afraid. And I don’t really know why. I met quite a few of you in the coffee fellowship that followed and was a bit intimidated.
From there, us YAVs had a week of orientation. Some activities included a photo scavenger hunt, a tour around the French Quarter, developing a covenant for our intentional Christian community, and sitting and discussing our goals for the year, personal, spiritual, and professional. What had I done? I’ve come to a whole new city, to live with 6 strangers, to work in some uncomfortable situations, to establish relationships with people I didn’t know anything about, after just finishing a year of service which turned out to be one of the most challenging years of my life. I was afraid.

I remember my first children’s moment very clearly. I had note cards in case I forgot what to say. Now I had planned it weeks in advance, but boy was I nervous. I went up front here, and did my thing. I was shaking at first. But my jokes made you all laugh, and the kids enjoyed themselves too. It was my first exposure speaking in front of you all. And look at me now. While still nervous at times, fear is not nearly as present as it was back then.

And then there was the start of what is now to be called LAMP, a ministry where folks come to Lakeview and experience New Orleans through mission. When this idea was first brought up, I was so excited. But I was again afraid. How could I get people to come down here to work with me, a lowly YAV? There were so many things that needed to be planned out: food, sleeping arrangements, worksites, costs, fun, and the entire experience. I would be taking groups for a week to work in this city. As someone who had only been in New Orleans a few months, I was afraid.

It seems that these times when I was afraid go hand in hand with times of change. Changing from my life in California to life in Louisiana. Changing from being in the congregation to being in front of the congregation. Change from being the youth going on the mission trips to the one leading the mission trips. It’s in these times I have feared. But it’s in these times that I have grown. Here’s a joke I heard in LA that is quite applicable. Q: How many Presbyterians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Change? That’s my Mother’s lightbulb! Lakeview Presbyterian Church has experienced more change in my time here than I have ever seen in a church. This church has experienced grief, confusion, excitement, loss, new passions, and fear. But you’re still here. And you’re thriving. You’re excited for the unknown. You’re embracing this change and the change to come. You have grown so much.

It’s hard to say that I will only be in New Orleans a month more. My YAV year is coming to an end and I will be moving to Louisville, KY to attend Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary this August. (But don’t worry. It’s not affiliated with the University of Louisville.  I’ll still be the diehard Kentucky fan.) But I’m afraid. This change is a big one, furthering my education through theological exploration. I’ve seen how challenging it can be from my father. There will be nights spent reading, writing, pondering, and wrestling thoughts that I’ve never had before. There will finally be some understanding. But there will be more questions than ever before. And I’m fearful of that. The unknown is scary.

In the back of the boat there slept Jesus. Fully human. Fully God. Here’s the storm of a life-time brewing and he’s just sleeping.  We’ve all got these storms, whether they’re just beginning, we’re in the midst of them, or they have just passed. We’re all affected by our storms. BUT WE NEED NOT FEAR. Even when we think God is nowhere to be found. Even when we think nothing can be worse. Even when our storms are raging. Jesus is there. “Peace. Be Still,” he said. When you’re in the midst of your storm you forget that he’s there. With all the craziness of life, it’s hard to remember that God is with us. You may even see him, but he could be asleep on a cushion in the back of your boat. BUT WE NEED NOT FEAR. When your storm is over, he is there. When your storm is beginning, he is there. Whatever comes your way, our God will calm your storm. He is always there.

As I go on my life journey, there will be many unknowns. I don’t know what my plans are after seminary. There will be many changes. I’ll have to get used to living where there are 4 seasons again. There will be much fear…. But wherever I end up. I know that I will have a place in the church. Every Sunday I can go into that sanctuary and hear the Word that will calm my storm. And on that cushion in the back pew? Maybe even asleep? There’s Jesus. Waking at just the right time. “Peace. Be Still. Why are you afraid?” Amen.



 -John

No comments:

Post a Comment