Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12, 2014 - The Winter Refuge Shelter Begins!

The first week of the shelter has passed. So what exactly am I doing? I'm the coordinator for an 8-week winter refuge shelter hosted by First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood. Ecclesia, Hollywood Pres, Reality LA, and Broken Hearts Ministry fully fund and put on this blessing of a shelter. At it's peak it can hold about 30 guests and is in the same space that our feeding programs occur in the church. During the evenings we have dinner and a ministry time; time for volunteers to spend with the guests. My duties are to make sure the nights and mornings run smoothly, letting volunteers know where everything is and how the night or morning is supposed to go. Seeing how every day we have different volunteers, it makes for a tiring job to say the least.
My time isn't only with the volunteers though. In just a week I feel so close to our guests. There's not much I can share about them, but I can say that they are definitely some of the greatest people here, making this place what it is. I'm super thankful for this time and for the opportunity to be here.
I have a few long weeks ahead, so keep me in your prayers!

-John

1 comment:

  1. John, you're certainly in our prayers! Blessings to you and your guests in these coming busy weeks...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete