Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014 - Rounding the Last Curve

Rounding the Last Curve

There are less than 2 weeks left in the winter shelter! I've slept poorly, missed meals, worked 15 hour days, been kicked by a guest, called the police, called an ambulance, had to settle disputes, and take down and set up 25 cots before and after meals.  It's some of the most exhausting work I've ever had the pleasure of doing. It makes working at a camp look like babysitting a sleeping 7 year old. I've struggled to make it through at times, but am still standing, just tired. You know you're tired when people you've just met say, "Man you look tired. Is there anything I can do?" But that's it right there. It's the part that keeps me going. It's what makes being a part of the church worth it. It's that unconditional love.

People in Hollywood tend to be in their own world. They don't care as much about others as you see in the Midwest or South. It's hard to get used to at first. People don't acknowledge you on the sidewalk or even hold doors for you. But when it comes to the churches of Hollywood, they know how to show their compassion. They know how to care.
FPCH Winter Shelter

Every night at the shelter a different group of volunteers from one of the local Hollywood churches comes to serve dinner. One of my roles is to explain to them what the shelter exactly is and what they'll be doing for the night. These volunteers have never met any of the guests, but always come in with an attitude of peace, care, and love. Not only do they act this way to the guests, but to the other volunteers and me. It's really nice to meet and know people who truly care for others and act on their feelings of love. It's something that I feel I can always work to improve upon and challenge everyone to do.

And now for a touching video that's not really related to anything I just blogged about but reminds me of all us YAV:




-John

2 comments:

  1. John - Great post, and glad you are in the home stretch for the winter shelter! Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post John! I know it's not easy... You're in my prayers.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete